Nov 21, 2008

Malabar chicken curry with coconut


Today my daughter had her orientation for her new class K1. (wow! time sure flies!!!) i though i would be back soon so i took the chicken out and didnt cook any thing else and went to her school. but when i came back it was already 11:30am and my kiddos usually have lunch by 12:30 ish. i was like OMG!! what im going to do now..

i decided to make neyichor (ghee rice) and chicken curry. but i knew that with all sauteing and stuff i cant make it by 12:30.


Then my sis called me and told me to come online. While i was chatting with her she gave me this recipe. She told me just mix every thing and toss it into the cooker and add grinded coconut.. i was like what??? no sauteing and no oil???? how come.. she said try it..
And then i just did just like she told me and it really came out good.

chicken 500 grms washed and cut into small pieces
1 medium sized onion
1 small tomato
1 large potato
1.5 tbsp ginger garlic paste
1 tbsp lime juice
1/2 tsp turmeric pwdr
1 tsp red chilli pwdr
2.5 tbsp coriander pwdr
1 tsp pepper pwdr
curry leaves, mint and coriander leaves - a handful
grated coconut - 1 cup
1 tsp fennel seeds/perumjeerakam
salt to taste

mix all the ingredients except the curry,mint and coriander leaves and coconut and fennel seeds in a pressure cooker. My sis told me not to add water but i added 1/4th cup to avoid burning (i didnt want to take the risk!!)LOL! Cook for 15 mts.

Grind the coconut and fennel seeds to a fine paste with 1/4 cup of water

When the pressure is gone add the coconut paste to it. And cook on a low flame till bubbles appear. Add all the leaves to it.

Serve hot with neychor or any type of pathiris.



This is the first time im cooking a chicken curry oilless!! :) Thanks to my dear sis for sharing such a wonderful recipe with me. I love you and miss you. **sniff sniff** :-)

No comments: